Youth counselor – 28 hours per week
Mission: Auberge Transition is a feminist organisation whose primary mandate is to offer shelter, information, support and post-shelter services to women and children who are currently or who have experienced intimate partner violence.
The main function of the youth worker is to coordinate the clinical management of children by assisting the mothers at the external office on an as needed basis. The worker needs to determine the needs of each child and those of her mother through discussions with the child (if possible) and the mother. Thus, the youth worker needs to help the child identify, express and cope with his/her exposure to violence, separation from the abusive parent and internalization of blame. With regard to the mother, the role of the worker is to facilitate the development of the mother's own resources and to systematically encourage a positive mother-child relationship.
• Welcome mothers and children to the shelter
• Clinical interventions based on the needs of both the mother and child (exceptions may apply)
• Prepare and keep files, which include action plans, references and follow-up
• Refer when needed to appropriate community resources
• Inform Youth protection when necessary
• Provide information and support to mothers regarding intimate partner violence.
• Provide sensitizations to local schools on all forms of violence.
• Animate workshops for mothers
• Coordinate and animate activities for the children
• Offer respite when needed
1. College degree in special care counseling or related field
2. Minimum experience of 2 to 4 years in animation and intervention with children and adolescents.
3. Knowledge of the problem of intimate partner violence
4. Ability to communicate in French and English, oral and written. A third language would be an asset.
5. Communication and public relations skills
6. Ability to work in a team
7. Ability to make decisions with a minimum of information
8. Ability to manage time
9. Discretion and confidentiality
Please note only chosen candidates will be contacted for an interview
On-call replacement counselor
Auberge Transition is a feminist organization whose primary mandate is to offer shelter, information, counseling and follow-up services to women who are currently experiencing or have experienced any form of intimate partner violence.. Auberge Transition serves all women, with or without children, of all cultures and backgrounds.
- Answer the crisis line, provide support, information, and referrals as needed and admit women to the shelter in accordance with admission criteria.
- Assure the smooth running of the shelter
- Assist women and children in their daily activities
- Ensure the cleanliness of the home
- Dependant on the needs of the shelter. Must be available to replace week-ends, week nights 3 to 10 & overnight 9:30 - 8:30 am. Must be able to replace 8/10 statutory holidays
- According to the salary scale in place